August 12, 2008 at 11:22 AM
Couple of days ago, my blog application started crushing. At first, I assumed that my ISP provider is to blame. Somewhat irritated I submitted the question to the support crew and couple of emails later, they informed me that the blog application was taking over 100MB in RAM space (which triggers the server to stop the application). In addition I noticed that the number of visitors increased dramatically over the last couple of weeks. Quick look under the hood revealed that during post rendering, source code is rendered "on-fly", which utilizes Wilco.SyntaxHighlighter.dll control. Considering the fact that there are many posts that display the source code and that there are many visitors viewing them, it is possible that memory usage would increase drastically. To eliminate the issue I decided to render the code at the time of post editing (as opposed to rendering during page loading). The only elegant solution (in my case) was to use Windows Live Writer with source code plugin. However, I could not find a plugin that would satisfy my needs, so I decided to write my own.