December 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Over the past couple of weeks, I have been developing real time TCP/IP communication server. The server was implemented as .Net windows service. During the development phase, it was clear that the server will require configuration application, which I decided to implement as separate application. I wanted to avoid “desktop interaction” of my service. In addition, I wanted to experiment with IPC offered by .Net framework. I have considered following IPC mechanisms:
- Windows Communication Foundation;
- .NET Remoting;
- Named Pipes;
After some testing and experimentation, I decided to develop my own IPC mechanism. Below, you will find some reasoning behind the effort.
November 28, 2008 at 9:34 AM
Every once in a while, I receive emails stating that some of my libraries were utilized as part of larger project. Besides being very excited (and somewhat proud I must admit), I always felt a need to somehow share the information with the rest of the world. After some thought, I decided to simply write a post and provide author's original work for download (with author's permission).
The latest project that I received was Masters Project by Karlo Martin Zatylny from University of Texas at Austin. Karlo's project was to implement Korat - "a library for creating test structures and data" - in C# language (hence the name Korat#). Korat testing environment was originally implemented and utilized in Java programming language. Karlo enhances original Korat implementation by adding "regular-expression data generation engine to provide valid string-based input for the given methods and libraries" Karlo's paper and implementation can be downloaded below:
Download Karlo's Paper in PDF (473.81 kb)
Download Source Code (683.25 kb)
August 12, 2008 at 11:22 AM
Couple of days ago, my blog application started crushing. At first, I assumed that my ISP provider is to blame. Somewhat irritated I submitted the question to the support crew and couple of emails later, they informed me that the blog application was taking over 100MB in RAM space (which triggers the server to stop the application). In addition I noticed that the number of visitors increased dramatically over the last couple of weeks. Quick look under the hood revealed that during post rendering, source code is rendered "on-fly", which utilizes Wilco.SyntaxHighlighter.dll control. Considering the fact that there are many posts that display the source code and that there are many visitors viewing them, it is possible that memory usage would increase drastically. To eliminate the issue I decided to render the code at the time of post editing (as opposed to rendering during page loading). The only elegant solution (in my case) was to use Windows Live Writer with source code plugin. However, I could not find a plugin that would satisfy my needs, so I decided to write my own.
June 27, 2008 at 8:45 AM
Lately, Adobe Flex has been getting more and more attention in programming community. Especially after the launch of open source version of Flex SDK developers are able to make rich Internet applications (RIA) using Flex, which (as everybody knows) produces a flash file (swf) that can be used in any web application. The article will focus on the following topics:
- Communication between Action Script (HTTPService) and .NET (HTTP Handler);
- Security - securing HTTP Handler calls from unauthorized access;
- ASP.NET Forms Authentication and Authorization through Flex;
- ASP.NET Handlers and session management;
It is assumed that the reader is familiar with basic concepts of ASP.NET handlers, forms authentication, and Adobe's Action Script.
May 18, 2008 at 10:24 AM
SQL Server 2005 has been released for a while now, and most of the new features are well known throughout programming community. Right after the initial release, I downloaded a copy of SQL Server 2005 Express, eager to explore new features. At first, there was a lot of reading and browsing the documentation; then I moved onto converting smaller projects to SQL Server 2005 edition, and finally I decided to move larger projects to my new favorite DBMS. Throughout conversion process, I was poised to utilize the newest feature of SQL Server 2005: CLR Stored Procedures.